Friday, August 10, 2007

What's in a name?

After you sign your name and you decide to market your painting there comes the time to name it. Over the years I’ve named my paintings by the location, by the feeling I had when I painted, by the colors, from the titles of favorite poems, after people, numbers (landscape 100, and many other creative and not so creative names. A few weeks ago someone contacted me after seeing my web site and wanted to purchase a painting I had named “Three Sisters”. She said she really liked the painting but more than that, she felt a connection to the name because she had two sisters and when she saw the name and liked the painting, she wanted to purchase. You see, it really does matter what you name your paintings. At least it does to some folks and especially now that many of us are putting our images on the web!

Did you know that the name you give your image file makes a difference too? If you put the name of your subject in the title search engines like google are more apt to show the image in their image catalog and many potential clients find art that way. Go now and plug in the name rose watercolor in google’s image search. http://images.google.com/imghp?tab=wi or just go to www.google.com and look for the link on the right hand top of your screen that says image.

Yesterday I was listening to NPR and Debussy's Prelude to "The Afternoon of a Fawn"
I really enjoyed listening but this time I immediately thought what a great name for a painting. You never know, someone might come along and have a real connection to the music and just HAVE TO PURCHASE my painting. If you want to know more about Debussy's Prelude to "The Afternoon of a Fawn "http://www.musicwithease.com/debussy-afternoon-faun.html or http://www.ralphmag.org/EP/debussy.html and listen to it here: http://frontpage4.netfirms.com/debussypage.htm

Here is my “Three Sisters” painting.




I’m so glad I didn’t name it “Stupid field of clover” … not that there is anything wrong with clover.

Keep cool, Phyllis
To view past messages or to make a comment on the public blog, click here.

1 comment:

bj said...

I love this little essay on the importance of the title! Too often I see paintings with titles which show no thought on the part of the artist. The title can often make the difference between 'not a second glance' and a sale.