Monday, August 20, 2007

Center Composition

Today is my 60th birthday! I can't believe I made it. It's too hot to get outside and paint, so I've been doing studio work, some from photos and some just contrived. During the hot days I also enjoy reading art instruction books and doing exercises. Composition is such a great part of what makes some paintings successful and some not so, and playing with composition rules can teach you a great deal. We all have heard over and over not to place the focal point in the center of the canvas, but sometimes that's what we always do. What makes some center compositions successful and some not so? Here's a little clue gleaned from Edgar Payne.

Quoting from Edgar Payne, "the placement of the main point of attraction in composition is important. Regardless of its location on the canvas or whether it is large or small, it needs balance by it surrounding parts. If the main attraction area is small the rest of the picture should not over come it by presenting similar or equal interest. The principal attraction should not be placed too near the edge of the canvas."

Having interesting colors and textures that surround the main focal point create supporting focal areas that can move the eye around making the composition work. Here's my composition study with the main subject in the center of the painting. I think it works, but really value your opinion. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions to make it work better? Pastel on Wallis paper, 23x17 en studio




To view past messages or to make a comment on the public blog, click here.

2 comments:

bj said...

I think the composition is perfect for your duck painting. They don't know a thing about art - but they know everything about being ducks. Your painting celebrates their "duckiness". It is just lovely.

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

LOL, Thanks BJ for your compliment about my duck painting.