Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The value of values


It's hot,hot,hot outside so I know that many of us are painting inside these days. I've been looking back at some of my books and doing some self critique of my work. As a review for me I found this useful:

The Five Tone Values

The most precious factor of a paintng is getting down the five tone values. If a painting doesn't capture these, it fails to convey dimension and that is what we are after. Some think they can get by with using color or texture to convey dimension but bottom line, it all comes back to value so it's good to understand, practice, and critique your paintings for value changes. Value changes helps tell the story. Always see color in terms of value.

1. The body tone where a form is in line with the light.
2. The body shadow where a form's shape is not in line with the light.
3. A cast shadow where a forum stands in the way of the light.
4. The highlight where a concave or convex plan is in direct line with the light.
5. A reflection where general illumination bounces into shadows.
It's all about the light and to convey light we have to understand how we see value changes as light hits an object. Sure, it's painting 101, but it's a good lesson to review, review, and review for all of us.



Hope you all are having good painting days in or out of the studio. I'd love to see what you are doing. Send it to me and I'll post it for you. phyllisfranklin@hotmail.com

No comments: